“Fill your life with adventures, not things.
Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”
Ok, admit it. When a special occasion like Valentine’s Day, your anniversary, etc. is approaching, you start to panic because you can’t think of any good gift ideas.
Your pulse starts to race. Your palms begin to sweat. You start pulling at your hair.
You think to yourself: “We can go out to dinner, but everyone does that. (* Yawn *) I can buy a bouquet of flowers but that’s so cliché. Chocolate? Yummy but he/she doesn’t want (or needs) the extra calories.”
Want a memorable way to celebrate a special day?
Create and give a unique experience-based gift instead of giving a physical gift.
EXPERIENCE-BASED GIFT VS. PHYSICAL GIFT
What is an experience-based gift?
Simply put, its a gift of an activity you do or participate in – a.k.a. “experience” – such as a tour, excursion, class, outing, date, etc.
Why give an experience-based gift instead of a physical gift?
There are several reasons:
- 81% of Americans would rather receive experienced-based gifts than physical gifts! [Source: Sparefoot blog]
- Experiences are more memorable and can be customized to the recipient(s)
- Shared experiences create a bond between the giver and receiver
- You don’t need to find room to store an experience
- Many of us are already drowning in “stuff” and are moving toward living more minimalist lives
There are a lot of other reasons, too, but I think you get the idea.
Studies show that 81% of Americans would rather receive experienced-based gifts than physical gifts. Click To Tweet
HOW TO CREATE AN EXPERIENCE-BASED GIFT
Ok. Now, we’re getting down to the nitty-gritty. It’s time to start creating an experience for your sweetie.
How do you do this? Don’t sweat it. It doesn’t have to be difficult or overwhelming.
Just follow these steps.
STEP 1 – Figure out what your budget is (yes, you can still create a memorable experience if your budget is small!)
STEP 2 – Think about what your sweetie is passionate about and/or enjoys doing.
STEP 3 – Research the area where you’d like to enjoy your experience to see what’s available. You can stay in your own area or go out-of-town for the day, overnight, for a weekend, or however long you like.
STEP 4 – Make any necessary arrangements (reservations, purchases, etc.)
STEP 5 – Drop some hints to pique his/her interest.
STEP 6 – Share an amazing experience with your sweetie!
SOME EXPERIENCE-BASED GIFT IDEAS FOR YOU
I touched on the topic of experience-based gifts in a previous post, but I’m going to expand on it a little bit more here.
Creating a unique, memorable experience that your significant other will love and appreciate is easier than you think and the possibilities are endless.
Here are some ideas for you.
CRAFT BEVERAGE ACTIVITIES
- Class to learn the basics
- Basic wine tasting
- Wine tasting paired with food, chocolate, truffles, or Girl Scout cookies
- Tour several wineries through a tour company
- Distillery tour
- Brewery tour
- Beer tasting
- Art gallery visit/tour
- Museum visit/tour
- Painting Class
- Pottery Class (think of the movie”Ghost” ;-))
- Paint Your Own Pottery
- Photography Class
- Brunch (less expensive than dinner)
- Happy Hour (discounted apps & drinks)
- Cooking Class
- Foodie Tour
- Picnic with favorite food, drinks, dessert
- Progressive meal – app at 1st place; main dish at 2nd place; dessert at 3rd place
- Be a Tourist in Your Own City
- Comedy club
- Concert/Live Music
- Dance class
- Road trip
- Scavenger hunt
- Trivia night
- Ghost Tours
- Ghost/Paranormal Hunting
- Murder Mystery Dinner
- Overnight Stay in a Haunted Location
- Bed & Breakfast Stay
- Couples massage
- Dance class
- Photo shoot (take pictures of each other or hire a photographer)
- Recreate a special event such as your 1st date
- Spa Day
- Sunset/Moonlight Cruise
- Train Rider
- Adventure Park/Obstacle Course
- Ice skating
- Play sports together
- Rock Climbing (outdoors or indoors on a rock climbing wall)
- Skydiving (outdoors or indoors at a place like iFly)
- Walking Tour (guided or self-guided)
- Whitewater Rafting
- Food Bank
- Habitat for Humanity
- Homeless Shelter
- Soup Kitchen
CREATING AN EXPERIENCE-BASED GIFT
Ok, now that you have some ideas, it’s time to decide what you’re experience-based gift will include.
Want to get really creative? Combine several ideas to create a truly unique experience.
Here are some examples:
- Rock Climbing + Couples Massage + Dinner
- Hike + Picnic + Camping
- Self-Guided Walking Tour + Photo Shoot
- Cooking Class + Bed and Breakfast Stay
- Brunch + Tour of Wineries
There’s no limit to how creative you can get.
Ok, now that you’ve gotten some ideas, you’ll need some ways to keep costs down.
There are a lot of ways to save money that you may not be aware of. Here are some of my favorites:
- Airbnb Experiences – Find fun and unique things to do at your destination
- BedandBreakfast.com – Search for top B&Bs, inns and more
- Groupon – Get discounts/deals on restaurants, tours, hotels, getaways, and more
- Living Social – Similar to Groupon
- Meetup – Connect with other people who love the same things you do (some events are free, some charge a fee)
- Restaurant.com – Discounted restaurant coupons
- Spotluck – A fun and innovative dining app that ties together helping someone decide where to eat by offering smart and real-time incentives that users discover by spinning a virtual wheel of restaurants
- Slick Deals – The leading and most trusted online community dedicated to sharing, rating, and reviewing deals and coupons
- Volunteer Match – Helps you find just the right nonprofit to match your interests
I’ve armed you with all of this information. The question is: Do you feel confident enough to move forward and begin planning a fun, memorable experience for your sweetie?
I hope your answer is a resounding YES!