Ok, admit it. When a special occasion like Valentine’s Day is approaching, you start to panic because you can’t think of any good gift ideas to celebrate your sweetie.
Your pulse starts to race. Your palms begin to sweat.
You can go out to dinner, but everyone does that. (* Yawn *) A bouquet of flowers? Cliché. Chocolate? Who wants the extra calories?!
Want a memorable way to celebrate a special day?
Don’t worry. I’ve got an idea for you.
Create and give a unique experience-based gift instead of giving a physical gift.
EXPERIENCE-BASED GIFT VS. PHYSICAL GIFT
What is an experience-based gift?
Simply put, its a gift of an activity you do or participate in – a.k.a. “experience” – such as a tour, excursion, class, etc.
Why give an experience-based gift instead of a physical gift?
There are several reasons:
- 81% of Americans would rather receive experienced-based gifts than a physical gift! (Source: Sparefoot blog)
- Experiences are more memorable and can be customized to the recipient(s)
- Shared experiences create a bond between the giver and receiver
- You don’t need to find room to store an experience
- Manu of us are already drowning in “stuff” and are moving toward living more minimalist lives
There are a lot of other reasons, too, but I think you get the idea.
“Fill your life with adventures, not things.
Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”
Studies show that 81% of Americans would rather receive experienced-based gifts than physical gifts. Click To Tweet
HOW TO CREATE AN EXPERIENCE-BASED GIFT
Ok. Now, we’re getting down to the nitty-gritty. It’s time to start creating an experience for your sweetie.
How do you do this? Don’t sweat it. It doesn’t have to be difficult or overwhelming.
Just follow these steps.
STEP 1 – Figure out what your budget is (yes, you can still create a memorable experience on a budget!)
STEP 2 – Think about what your sweetie is passionate about and/or enjoys doing.
STEP 3 – Do a little research in the area where you’re going to enjoy your experience with your sweetie to see what’s available. You can stay in your own area or go out-of-town for the day, overnight, for a weekend, or however long you like.
STEP 4 – Make any necessary arrangements (reservations, purchases, etc.)
STEP 5 – Drop some hints to pique his/her interest.
STEP 6 – Share an amazing experience with your sweetie!
SOME EXPERIENCE-BASED GIFT IDEAS FOR YOU
I touched on the topic of experience-based gifts in a previous post, but I’m going to expand on it a little bit more here.
Creating a unique, memorable experience that your significant other will love and appreciate is easier than you think and the possibilities are endless.
Here are some ideas for you.
CRAFT BEVERAGE ACTIVITIES
- Class to learn the basics
- Pairing with food, chocolate, truffles, or Girl Scout cookies
- Tour of Several Wineries Through a Tour Company
- Distillery Tour
- Brewery Tour
- Beer Tasting
- Art Gallery Tour
- Museum Tour
- Painting Class
- Pottery Class
- Paint Your Own Pottery
- Photography Class
- Brunch (less expensive than dinner)
- Cooking Class
- Foodie Tour
- Picnic with favorite food, drinks, dessert
- Progressive meal – app at 1st place; main dish at 2nd place; dessert at 3rd place
- Be a Tourist in Your Own City
- Comedy Club
- Concert/Live Music
- Road Trip
- Scavenger Hunt
- Ghost Tours
- Ghost Hunting
- Murder Mystery Dinner
- Overnight Stay in a Haunted Location
- Bed & Breakfast Stay
- Couples Massage
- Photo Shoot (take pictures of each other or hire a photographer)
- Recreate a special event such as your 1st date
- Spa Day
- Sunset/Moonlight Cruise
- Train Ride
- Adventure Park/Obstacle Course
- Ice skating
- Play Sports Together
- Rock Climbing (outdoors or indoors on a rock climbing wall)
- Skydiving (outdoors or indoors at a place like iFly)
- Walking Tour (guided or self-guided)
- Whitewater Rafting
- Food Bank
- Habitat for Humanity
- Homeless Shelter
- Soup Kitchen
CREATING AN EXPERIENCE-BASED GIFT
Ok, now that you have some ideas, its time to decide what you’re experience-based gift will include.
You can get really creative by combining several ideas to create a truly unique experience.
Here are some examples:
- Rock Climbing + Couples Massage + Dinner
- Hike + Picnic + Camping
- Self-Guided Walking Tour + Photo Shoot
- Cooking Class + Bed and Breakfast Stay
- Brunch + Tour of Wineries
It all depends on the type of experience you want to create, your budget, and the amount of time you’ll have together.
Ok, now that you’ve gotten some ideas, you’ll need some ways to keep costs down.
There are a lot of ways to save money that you may not be aware of. Let me share some of my favorites.
- Airbnb Experiences – Find fun and unique things to do at your destination
- BedandBreakfast.com – Search for top B&Bs, inns and more
- Groupon – Get discounts/deals on restaurants, tours, hotels, getaways, and more
- Living Social – Similar to Groupon
- Meetup – Connect with other people who love the same things you do.
- Restaurant.com – Discounted restaurant coupons
- Spotluck – A fun and innovative dining app that ties together helping someone decide where to eat by offering smart and real-time incentives that users discover by spinning a virtual wheel of restaurants
- Slick Deals – the leading and most trusted online community dedicated to sharing, rating, and reviewing deals and coupons
- Volunteer Match – Find just the right nonprofit for your interests
Now that I’ve armed you with all of this information, you should feel confident enough to move forward and begin planning a fun, memorable experience for your sweetie.
ARE YOU READY??
I hope your answer is a resounding YES!
Wishing you awesome travels…and memorable shared experiences!
Did you get some new ideas from this post?
I’d love to hear what you liked the best and if there is anything I should add.
Please share your thoughts in the Comments below 💬